News Clips 1970 thru 1999
July 10, 1970, was sold on land contract by Vera C. Callison to Richard Morris
Richard Morris was born and raised in Wyalusing, PA . He joined the army in June of 1955 and finished in 1958. While serving in the army, he was cook, truck driver, and worked in artillery. In 1958, he went to work for a construction company and helped, along with his father, to build the Towanda Hospital in Towanda PA. Richard held various jobs through out his working career before becoming self-employed: riveter for Piper Aircraft in Lockhaven, PA, riveter for Schweizer Aircraft in Horseheads, NY, A & P grocery store in candy and shipping, produce manager for Acme grocery store in Waverly, NY (current “Jolly Farmer” building), worked on military jeep bodies at Twin Coach in Waverly, NY (about 1962), and worked on picture tubes at Westinghouse at Horsheads, NY. In the 1960’s, he bought his first “Mr. Softee” ice-cream truck. Soon afterwards, he purchased another for his wife, Ruth, to operate. Later, their ice-cream business was changed to D&R, for Dick and Ruth. The locals still call him, “Mr. Softee” and Ruth “Mrs. Softee,” names that have stayed with them thru the years. Richard and Ruth raised 4 children; Amy, Herbert, Jon, and Wendy. Dick and Ruth also owned and operated the D&R ice-cream stand in Athens, PA for over 25 years until the flood of 2011, which then they decided to sell the stand in Athens. Richard still had one D&R ice-cream truck in operation until about 2018. Thru his years of self employment he also owned and operated laundromats in Athens and Sayre, PA, a gas station in Athens, PA, and several rental homes/apartment houses in the valley. In 1980 he purchased “Vans” gas station in Sayre, PA and named it “Dick’s Auto.” For many years he sold auto parts, gas and kerosene. He also repaired kerosene heaters and sold, changed and fixed tires. In 2011, he quit selling gas. He currently, in 2021, continues to sell, change and fix tires at Dick’s Auto on Elmira Street in Sayre, PA. He is known around the valley, as was Samuel Slaughter, as truly “the poor man’s friend.” He has a history of being very generous and sympathetic to the many people of this valley area who have asked for his help through out the years. He enjoys watching our progress on the restoration of Zehr Estate. “Dad” is a frequent visitor and offers his help and advice, which we are appreciative of. Richard is very happy to be able to see the restoration of this property, something he had always wanted to see done, the preservation of this magnificent piece of history. The "Dick's Auto" property is currently listed for sale in 2021. Retirement is in the near future for Richard Morris. (This writing up to date as of July 2021.)
June 9, 1971 Waverly Advocate: Twelve Buildings in Ruins. Twenty-five Business Places Destroyed. Loss $80,000. Insurance $54,000. … At 6:30 fire was discovered in the second story of Shipmans grocery store, corner Broad and Waverly streets. … the block of Dr. Harnden, adjoining Shipmans’ on Waverly street, was saved, but the fire soon communicated with Myers & Langford’s Hotel and Restaurant on the west. …the flames communicated with Gilbert’s large wooden building, adjoining Myers & Langford, and soon enveloped it in flames. Then it reached the Cooly building, now owned by Mrs. Perry Weatherly; thence it fired the Central House, Fred M. Sutton proprietor, and soon laid it in ashes. … All these buildings were united in one continuous wooden block, and the firemen and citizens were powerless to save any of them. When the Gilbert block was burning the most fiercely the flames reached across Broad street and fired the small wooden stores on that side. … The Corning saloon owned by J. W. Buley, adjoining the Spaulding block, was destroyed; and although the heat was intended at this point this brick block, without the aid of water resisted the fury of the fire, and saved the property east of that point. Adjoining this saloon on the west was G. W. Chaffee’s building, which was soon wiped out … Henry Shriver’s grocery store next followed; then A. S. Mutt’s building; from thence the fire reached Mrs. Laura S. Bush’s building, occupied by W. R. Baker & Co., grocers; next in order came Mrs. W. H. Spaulding’s millinery store. Here the strong brick walls of the Waverly National Bank successfully resisted the further spread of the fire. … The origin of the fire is a matter of conjecture. Shipman says some of the brakemen on a strike threatened him injury during the night in consequence of the part taken by him to assist the passage of trains at this place, and thinks they may have carried their threats into execution by firing his store, but the late hour at which the fire occurred seems to be against this hypothesis. We incline to the opinion it was the result of accident from burning the papers and other accumulations in the store immediately preceding the fire.
June 25, 1971 The Citizen Advertiser, Auburn, NY: Mrs. Blanche Moffat dies unexpectedly. Mrs. Blanche E. Moffat died unexpectedly this morning at her home. She was a native of Elkland, Pa, and grew up in Waverly. She lived in Ithaca from 1947 to 1963 before moving to Red Creek. Mrs. Moffet was a member of the Christian Mission Alliance Church, Ithaca. She was the widow of George E. Moffat who died in 1962. She is survived by a son, George J. Moffat of Hammond; a daughter, Mrs. Dwight (Esther) Hill of Red Creek; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral services will be held Sunday at the Jewell Funeral Home, Cato at the convenience of the family. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery, Chittenango. The Rev. Oscar Bate of the Sunnyside Community Church, North Rose will officiate. There will be no calling hours. (Blanche was the daughter of Gabriel and Mabel Evans and lived in the octagon home at 7 Athens Street in the early 1900's.)
From 1972 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 9 Athens Street - Chas. B. Rimbey and vacant; at 208 Chemung Street - Robt. Callison, Eric Boehm, Jas. R. Smiley, Walter L. Kintz, Randy Benjamin, Michl. E. Foster; at 208 1/2 Chemung Street - vacant
January 31, 1973 The Evening Times: Robert Callison, Former I-R Employee, Dies. Robert G. Callison, 78, of 208 Chemung St., Waverly, died Tuesday afternoon, Jan. 30, 1973 after an extended illness. Born in Bowser, Texas, he attended schools in Texas. He moved to Arizona in 1912 and attended the Phelps-Dodge Mining Corporation School in Bisbee, Ariz. and became a mining engineer. He was a veteran of World War I and later graduated from the EL Paso School of Mines after which he joined the Ingersoll-Rand at El Paso. He was transferred to the Athens Plant where he joined the sales force. He later was sent to Mexico City and Central America for the Ingersoll Rand and joined the New York, Honduras and Rosario Mining Co. in Honduras, Central America. In 1926, he left Honduras and returned to Athens where he married Vera F. Carpenter. After their marriage he went to the Northern Peru Mining and Smelting Corp. He later returned to the United States and the Phelps-Dodge Corp. in Arizona. Mr. Callison then went into business for himself as an oil distributor in New York. He later managed the El Dorado Mining in El Salvador. After liquidating the El Salvador and New York Honduras and Rosario Mining Co. he returned to Waverly in 1957. Mr. Callison had resided in Waverly and operated an apartment complex ever since and for a period of time was employed by Fraley's Garage in Athens. He was a member of Waverly Lodge No. 407, F. and A.M., and in June of 1970 received the 50-year pin. He was a past commander; of the American Legion in Bisbee, Arizona, having served in 1943 and in 1944. He was also a village trustee in Waverly for several terms. Surviving are his wife, Vera; two sons, William L. Callison of Cabot, Vt. and Gordon M. Callison of Waverly; two grandsons and several nieces and nephews. Friends may call at the Lowery Funeral Home, 225 S. Main St., Athens, Thursday from 2 to 4 and, 7 to 9 p.m. Funeral services will be held at the funeral home Friday at 3:30 p.m. Rev. Harry R. Burnard, pastor of the Capitol Assembly of God Church in Waverly, will officiate. Burial will be at a later date in Tioga Point Cemetery, Athens.
From 1974 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 7 Athens Street - Eliz. Alamo; at 9 Athens Street - vacant and vacant; at 208 Chemung Street - Vera C. Callison, Eric Boehm, Albert Orso, Walter Kintz, Randy Benjamin, Michl D. Foster; at 208 1/2 Chemung Street - vacant
February 19, 1974 Cortland Standard: Iron Kettle Inn, Tioga County Landmark, Burns. Waverly, N.Y. (AP) - Fire destroyed the Iron Kettle Inn, a landmark in this Tioga County community, despite the efforts of firemen from three companies Monday night. Firemen said the restaurant and motel complex had been closed for the winter and no one was inside. The cause was under investigation.
May 8, 1974 Landmarks Of Progress Tioga Co. Gazette & Times: There is no better way of knowing what went on in the past and comparing it with the present than to visualize the past through the landmarks of bygone generations which are still with us. Landmarks show us specifically whether or not we have progressed. Today with a broad emphasis on the old and a concerted effort to preserve what was, landmarks are appealing to both young and old. Throughout this 1974 Progress Edition we have pictured and described landmarks which are prominent in Tioga County, landmarks which show how people lived generations ago, landmarks which bring to light the past and help us to enjoy the present, landmarks which are the foundations of the things we cherish most today. Landmarks are more than just material things. They included the traditions of the past; in fact some of them are more noted because they are drenched in tradition rather than being some old but cherished building or site. Those landmarks which we can still visit reveal to us the traditions and the philosophies of the past as well as exhibiting for us the way life once was.
Three homes from Waverly were pictured in this Progress Edition; Ours being one of them, 208 Chemung st., 416 Chemung st. and 535 Chemung st.
October 10, 1974 Redo land contract (for 208 Chemung st., which included 208 1/2 Chemung st. and 9 Athens st.) since Robert Callison had died.
Oct. 8, 1976 Vera C. Coveney formerly Vera C. Callison to Richard H. Morris and Ruth M. Morris
March 2, 1979 William J. Rynone and D. Scott Jewell, take over ownership of 208 Chemung st. property to March of 1982, when Richard and Ruth Morris take back ownership.
Aug. 12, 1979 Elmira Star Gazette - Waverly - On a Sunday like this many years ago you could motor up to the Mountain Top Restaurant on Waverly Hill and buy a complete chicken dinner for $1 and get coffee for a nickel extra. Only a yellowing menu proclaiming the spot as "The Most Beautiful View in Eastern U.S.A." remains as evidence to more than 40 years of operation. Fire, set by area volunteers Saturday, destroyed the rambling four-story cliffside building. Many of the firefighters present recalled having eaten there before it closed in 1971. The front of the menu displays an oil painting of the exterior with the Chemung River forming a horseshoe in the valley below. On the back cover, a photograph of a modern soda fountain and booth dining area is printed. Club steak at $1.50 with potatoes, vegetables, bread and butter was the most expensive meal in the undated menu. A sausage, bacon, egg and wheat cake breakfast sold for 60 cents. For the gourmet, there were shrimp salads for 70 cents. The highest priced sandwich was a bacon, lettuce and tomato at 40 cents. For 20 cents, a soup appetizer or chicken and noodle or homemade vegetable was available. Sodas were 15 cents and a double dip Fro-Joy cone was only a dime. Sundaes sold for 20 cents and a malted milk was in vogue. The landmark may smolder several days before all embers die out. With trees grown up around the structure since it was abandoned eight years ago, travelers on Rt. 17C had a poor summer view of the valley. The fire took care of that. "Now you can see for miles," quipped a young volunteer.
September 13, 1979 The Lima Recorder, N.Y.: No Gasoline Problem. See New York State in the Fall. If you have delayed a vacation trip this year while concerned about the gasoline situation, the Finger Lakes Association suggests you delay no longer. The association says there are no major gasoline problems in the 14-county region of New York state which it serves and its friendly people invite you to visit in the autumn months ahead. ... In addition to the attractions of the region, many special events are scheduled during the fall. These include Palmyra Canal Days, Sept. 13-16; Waverly's 125th birthday party, Sept. 19-25; Naples Music and Art Festival, Sept. 22 and 23; and a fall festival in Jordan, Sept. 27-29. The Toyota Grand Prix of the U. S. will be run in Watkins Glen on Oct. 5, 6 and 7. ...
March 7, 1980 Daytona Morning Beach Journal: Edwin Knapp. Edwin M. Knapp, 73, 1288 Monticello Drive, Colonial Colony South, who served as vice president in charge of sales for the dog food division of Kasco Mills in Waverly, N. Y., before retiring and moving here in 1960, died Wednesday at Halifax Hospital after a lengthy illness. Mr. Knapp was born in Waverly and was a 1927 graduate of Dartmouth College. He and his wife, the former Lucia Crowell of Elmira, N. Y., celebrated their 50th anniversary in July. He also served as vice president in charge of sales at the Corn Products International in New York City. An avid sportsman, he was golf champion five times at Shepard Hills Country Club in Waverly and a noted field trial handler and judge of English setters and pointer hunting dogs. He was a member of the Daytona Beach Golf and Country Club where he served as secretary to vice president of the Men's Golf Assn. from 1960 to 1972. Mr. and Mrs. Knapp owned and operated the Knapp Apartments at 615 S. Grandview Ave. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and treasurer for seven years. Survivors other than his widow, include one sister, Mrs. Elnora Boyle, a frequent visitor from Layvette, Calif. There will be no local service. Volusia County Cremation is in charge. (Edwin Knapp was Mrs. Gertrude Slaughter Knapp's nephew. Edwin and Lucy Knapp lived at 208 Chemung st. in Mrs. Gertrude Knapp's home in the 1930's. They also gave dance lessons on the third floor of the home.)
March 17, 1980 Fire broke out in the old Knapp's Department Store at the corner of Broad and Fulton Streets. The 104 year old brass and cast iron town clock was destroyed. Azariah J. Vanatta had designed and built the town clock building, same builder of our Zehr Estate. Now on the corner of Broad and Waverly Streets, is a park with a replica of the clock. Most of the replica clock was constructed by Lester Marshall, James Manning, Robert Merrill and Mike Volechenisky. The carvings on the wooden housing and the slate shingles were reproduced. They decided to paint it a dark green. The clock was officially started by Mayor Daniel Leary in 1980.
March 2, 1982 William J. Rynone and D. Scott Jewell, ownership of the 208 Chemung st. property, which included 208 1/2 Chemung st. and 9 Athens st., back to Richard H. Morris and Ruth M. Morris.
1984 summer, 50th Class reunion for Waverly class of 1934: Miss Charlotte Knapp 5162 E. Florence No. 2 Bell , California 90201 Graduate of Cornell University in 1938. Worked for College of Engineering (CU) as secretary. Moved to California in late 1950's - did secretarial work. Retired - ("I am still single, and like the rest of us getting old.") Charlotte stopped by her former estate and saw Brad painting on the main house in that summer of 1984. It was her last visit. Brad and I were living on the third floor east apartment at that time, while I was attending RPH school of Nursing. Brad just happened to be doing odd jobs for my father who owned the apartment building. Brad often wishes he could go back in time and ask Charlotte questions and ask about the history of her family and former home. Back then, Brad didn't know who she was, that she was Samuel Slaughter's granddaughter, who was born and raised on the estate.
On Feb. 7, 1985 Charlotte S. Knapp died in Bell, Los Angeles, CA, 69 years of age.
September 1985 Cornell alumni news: Alumni Deaths... ‘38 BA - Charlotte S. Knapp of Bell, Cal., Feb 7, 1985. Delta Gamma.
June 9, 1988, Virginia VanAtta, grandaughter of A. VanAtta died. "Mother" b. 1893 Died, West Hartford, Conn.
1989 - 1994, at 337 Broad Street, Carmella's Italian Restaurant (from Don Merrill's collection)
Jan. 18, 1992 Mary I. Fralick died.
ELSBREE - MARY I. FRALICK
Mary I. Fralick, 95, of Hialeah, FL, died Saturday, January 18, 1992 in Florida. Born in Bradford County on February 15, 1896, she was the daughter of Perry and Mary Huff Elsbree. She was a 1912 graduate of East Smithfield High School. She and her first husband, Loron Pierce, operated the Marilorn Motel in Waverly for several years. She moved to Florida in 1962 with her second husband, Ralph Fralick. He also predeceased her. She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the United Methodist Church. Surviving are several nieces and nephews including: Hilda Barrett, Flagler Beach, FL; Charles Elsbree, Columbia Cross Roads; George Elsbree, Troy; Esther Everts, Troy; Dorothy Hickok, Tamarac, FL; Gene Pierce, Waverly; William Elsbree, Vestal; Gail Haskell, Owego. Funeral services were held at the Lowery Funeral Home in Athens on January 22 (2 pm) with the Rev. James W. Barrett officiating and burial to be in the Tioga Point Cemetery, Athens. (TGR, Thursday, January 23, 1992) http://www.joycetice.com/obitcemb/tpobite.htm
Mary Fralick had owned the 208 Chemung street Waverly, NY apartment complex from 1945 to 1958.
1993 - 1994, at 337 Broad Street, Robert Colins, Real Estate, and sometime later a book store, then remained empty for awhile, til 2005 (from Don Merrill's collection)
September 15, 1995 Vera Callison Coveney died. (b. March 10, 1900) Vera Callison, along with her first husband, had owned the 208 Chemung st. apartment complex from 1958 - 1970.