News Clips 1950 thru 1959
1950 directory: Mrs. George B. Knapp at 9 Athens street, 270-J Phone
March 16, 1950, a piece of the original "Slaughter" property was sold by Mary Fralick to Mary Alamo- current 7 Athens St. Waverly, NY.
1950 Binghamton NY Press: Tioga Health Unit Names Bassett. Owego - Robert V. R. Bassett of Owego was reelected president of the Tioga County Tuberculosis and Public Health Association at the annual dinner meeting held in the Ahwaga Hotel.... Also DeWight Riegel of Nichols, Mrs. Mabel D. Baldwin, Fred Gillan, Mrs. George Knapp and Mrs. A. C. Palmer, all of Waverly, Mr. Nickerson of Candor and Mr. Goodrich of Tioga Center. ...
April 13, 1950 Schenectady Gazette - Miss Carolyn Barbara Voght, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred H. Voght of Canajoharie, and Edward Winters Spraker, son of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker, also of Canajoharie, were married Saturday afternoon at the True Church of Christ at Sharon. Rev. Harvey B. Kimmey of Albany performed the ceremony. ... After a wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Spraker will be at home at 238 Washington avenue, Albany.
May 25, 1950 Elmira Star- Gazette: Mrs. Edsall Elected by Valley DAR. Waverly - Mrs. George Edsall was elected regent of Carantouan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution Wednesday afternoon. Others elected are: viceregents, Mrs. John F. Krill and Mrs. George B. Knapp; chaplain, Mrs. George L. Atwood; recording secretary, Mrs. James M. Flood; corresponding secretary, Mrs. Oliver C. Myers; treasurer, Mrs. Nan J. Leonard; registrar, Miss Alice P. Fish; historian, Mrs. Ralph B. Fravel. The meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Fred Simmons. Mrs. Krill was hostess. Refreshments were served with Mrs. Lewis Atwell pouring. Mrs. Ray D. Herrington read the installation service. Mrs. Victor L. Buley and Miss Lila Shoemaker were election tellers. The chapter members held an impressive memorial service for Miss Ruth Fish, for many years an active member. Mrs. Simmons read the revolutionary record and Mrs. Frank W. Merriam wrote a memorial tribute which was read by Mrs. Herrington. Miss Alice Fish wrote a brief tribute to her sister which was read by the regent, Mrs. Krill. Mrs. Atwood, chaplain, gave the prayer. Annual reports were given by the retiring officers and committee chairmen. The report of the treasurer was audited and approved by Mrs. Herman Olney and Mrs. Lewis H. Deidrick. On the nominating committee were: Mrs. Percy F. Gillan, Mrs. Oliver C. Myers and Mrs. George B. Knapp.
Augsust 5, 1950 The Morning Herald, Gloversville and Johnstown, N. Y.: Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker and J. Robert Spraker were weekend guests of Mrs. George B. Knapp, Waverly; Mrs. Spraker’s former home.
August 31, 1950 Elmira Star Gazette: Best Truck Buy in the county. Chevrolet, heavy duty, 1 1/2 to 2 ton. Bought 1947, only used 11 months. Very low mileage, looks and runs like new. Perfect 7.80x20 10 ply tires, at a giveaway price. H. G. Evans. 537 Chemung St., Waverly, N.Y. (Henry Evans family/parents rented the octagon home at 7 Athens st. in the early 1900's to circa 1933.)
September 8, 1950 Elmira Star Gazette: Best Truck Buy in the county. Chevrolet heavy duty, 1 1/2 to 2 tons. Bought 1947, only used 11 months. Very low mileage, looks and runs like new. Perfect 7.80x20 10-ply tires at a giveaway price. H. G. Evans, 537 Chemung St., Waverly, N.Y.
Nov. 6, 1950 The Morning Herald, Gloversville and Johnstown, N. Y. Mrs. George B. Knapp and Miss Charlotte Knapp, Waverly were recent guests of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker.
December 1950 Phone Directory Athens - Sayre South Waverly And Nearby Communities: Knapp Geo. B. Mrs. 9 Athens 270-J - Edwin Knapp at 89 Spring st. - J. W. jr. Knapp hardware at 326 Broad st. Residence at 97 Center st. - J. Warren Knapp 3rd at 94 Spring st. - T. P. Knapp at 455 Waverly st. - Knapp's Department Store at 301 Broad st.
1951 Mrs. George Knapp and daughter Charlotte Knapp were living at 9 Athens st. in their former carriage house, now owned by Mary Fralick.
From 1951 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 9 Athens Street - Mrs. George B. Knapp, Charlotte S. Knapp and Jules Helfner; at 208 Chemung Street - vacant, Ralph W. Fralick, John Foster, Parvin Mensch, Roland P. Holmes, Earl E. Armstrong; at 208 1/2 Chemung Street - Robert G. Eisenhart
March 17, 1951 The Morning Herald, Gloversville and Johnstown N.Y.: Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Eddy and Miss Charlotte Knapp called on relatives and friends in Minaville recently.
March 29, 1951 Elmira Star Gazette: Waverly DAR Hears Talk On Red Cross. Waverly - Services of the Waverly Red Cross Chapter were described by Mrs. Carl Coots, home service secretary in a talk before members of the Carantouan Chapter, DAR, Wednesday afternoon. The afternoon session was at the home (9 Athens st. Waverly, NY) of Mrs. George Knapp. Mrs. George (Mina) Edsall (447 Fulton st. Waverly, NY), regent conducted the business meeting. She read a message from the DAR president general stressing the urgent need and opportunity for patriotic service on the part of groups and individuals. Mrs. (Mabel) Coots (of 327 Chemung st. Waverly, NY) in her talk, told of the training programs now under way for nurses aides and first aid trainees, both courses under the direction of the local Red Cross chapter. She traced the history of Red Cross and briefly described such activities as home nursing, nutrition, canteen, production, blood bank and other services. Refreshments were served by the following co-hostessess; Mrs. Lewis D. (Isabelle) Atwater (151 Chemung st. Waverly, NY), Mrs. Howard (Edna) DeWitt (44 Chemung st. Waverly, NY), Mrs. Manley (Ruth) Brink (511 Clark st. Waverly, NY) and Mrs. Frank (Florence) Merriam (304 Chemung st. Waverly, NY).
May 24, 1951 Elmira Star Gazette: Poppy Days Slated In 2 Valley Towns. Waverly - Annual Poppy Days will be observed in the three Valley communities Friday and Saturday. In charge of the sales in each of the three villages are: Waverly, Mrs. Mary Fralick (208 Chemung st. Waverly, NY); Sayre, Mrs. Ruth Wood; Athens, Mrs. Charlotte Ackley.
June 4, 1951 The Morning Herald, Gloversville and Johnstown, N. Y.- CANAJOHARIE-Joseph Robert Spraker, son of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker, Front street, will receive his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Syracuse University this morning at the 95th commencement program in Archbold stadium. Nearly 300 students will receive degrees.
He will receive his degree from the College of Business Administration where he has majored in advertising. He is treasurer of Alpha Delta Tau, advertising honorary society, and vice-president of Phi Kappa Tau, national social fraternity, has been a member of the Hendrick’s Memorial Chapel Choir and the University Symphony Orchestra. A Canajoharie Central school graduate in 1945, he enlisted in the Navy prior to graduation, and served two and a half years, receiving his honorable discharge in November, 1947. He entered Syracuse University the following February. June 5, he will enter the employee of the Syracuse Post Standard in the advertising department.
August 30, 1951 Elmira Star Gazette: For Rent-Two heated apartments. A 5-room and a 4-room, each with bath, room sized porch, front and back entrance. Adults only. 304 Chemung St., Waverly Phone Waverly 159.
October 6, 1951 The Post-Standard Syracuse, NY: Among out-of-town guests who will attend the wedding today at Delta Gamma sorority house, 901 Walnut ave., of Miss Margaret Hunt Briggs to Joseph Robert Spraker are Mr. and Mrs. Charles Van Wie, John Van Wie, Barton Van Wie, Philip Schuyler, William L. Schultz, and John A. Lasher, Jr., all of Palatine Bridge; Mrs. Warren Diefendorf and Frederick Cuningham of Canajoharie, Mrs. Edward W. Spraker of Albany, Mr. and Mrs. Fay Boyd of Andover, Mrs. George Knapp and Miss Charlotte Knapp of (9 Athens st.) Waverly.
November 20, 1951 Binghamton, N. Y. Press: E. M. Knapp, Jr., School Athlete Of Waverly, Dies. Owego - Edwin M. Knapp, Jr., 20, of Waverly, died in the Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa., yesterday morning after an illness of several months. The son of Edwin M. Knapp, Sr., head of the Waverly division of the Kasco Feed Mills, and Mrs. Knapp, he was a student at Colgate University, prior to his illness. He was a well-known athlete in the Waverly area, having participated in varsity football and track in Waverly High School, Vermont Academy, and Colgate. The body was removed to the Geer Funeral Home in Waverly where friends may call. Funeral services will be held in the chapel at the Glenwood Cemetery Wednesday at 2 p.m. The Rev. Frederick Homrighouse, pastor of the Waverly Presbyterian Church, will officiate. Besides his parents, survivors include a brother, Jeffrey Knapp, and his paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Knapp.
December 1951 Directory of Athens Sayre South Waverly And Nearby Communities: Mrs. Geo. B. Knapp at 436 Penna ave. 191-J
Centennial planning for Waverly began in 1952.
February 6, 1952 Accession of Elizabeth II to the thrones of seven countries.
September 23, 1952 Elmira Star Gazette: Presbyterian Church Women Plan Retreat. Waverly - Members of the Women’s Association of the First Presbyterian Church in Waverly will hold a retreat in the church sanctuary Thursday at 2 p. m. The service will replace the regular October board meeting, Mrs. Edith Holmes, president of the association announced. Following the meeting Thursday refreshments will be served by a committee under the direction of Mrs. George B. Knapp (436 Pennsylvania ave. Waverly, NY). The association will honor members of the church choir at a dinner Thursday evening, Oct. 2, in the church social hall.
November 28, 1952 The Evening Times: Born to Thomas and Madeline Carter Toole of 9 Athens street, Waverly, a son Tuesday in the Robert Packer Hospital.
December 10, 1952 The Evening Times: Donors to Waverly Community Chest in First Annual Campaign Listed. The list of those who contributed to the first Waverly Community Chest campaign, recently completed, was announced today. It is as follows: ...Altha H. Knapp, Phillips Knapp, Thomas Knapp, Edwin Knapp, Gertrude Knapp (436 Penns. Ave.), J. W. Knapp Jr., J. Warren Knapp, ...
December 14, 1952 Binghamton Press, N. Y.: First Methodist Church of Campville was the scene Friday night of the candlelight wedding of Miss Laura Janet Brown to John Millard, Jr. The double-ring ceremony was performed by the Rev. Edwin Schumacker. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace B. Brown, Endicott RD 1. Mrs. and Mrs. John Millard, Sr., of Lockwood, are parents of the bridegroom. Escorted to the altar by her brother, William Brown, ...The newlyweds will live at 208 Chemung Street, Waverly.
1953 Directory: 3 Athens st. Robert Lockwood. 5 Athens st. William Costello. 7 Athens st. Mary Alamo (in the 1950 built ranch style home). 9 Athens st. Dr. Ralph Scott on bottom floor and Aloys Kraus on top floor at 9 1/2 Athens st. 4 Athens st. Elmer Lawrence. 6 Athens st. James Nolan. 8 Athens st. Robert Draper.
From 1953 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 9 Athens Street - Aloys A. Kraus and Ralph Scott; at 208 Chemung Street - Edward C. Brown, Ralph W. Fralick, Donald Holton, Walter L. Kintz, Esther F. Cooper, Earl E. Armstrong, 208 1/2 Chemung Street was vacant.
February 3, 1953 Elmira Star-Gazette: Waverly Driver Fined After Crash. Albert H. Smith, 37, of 429 Pennsylvania Ave., Waverly, was fined $65 on two charges last night before Police Justice M. J. Pierce of the Town of Ashland. According to State Police of the Waverly detail, Smith was charged with leaving the scene of an accident Sunday night at 10:30 about 6 miles east of Elmira on Rt. 17. Police reported that a car being driven west by Glen Dunlap of 208 Chemung St., Waverly, and the Smith car, which was going east, collided. Smith was arrested later Sunday night at home by state police on charges of leaving the scene of the accident and reckless driving. He was fined $50 on the first charge and $15 on the second.
February 20, 1953 Elmira Star Gazette: Waverly to Lose Village Landmark. Waverly - The village board last night agreed to tear down the old blacksmith's shop on the southwest corner of Pennsylvania Ave. and Broad Sts. at the northern end of the Pennsylvania Ave. bridge. The building belongs to C. E. Purdy who has granted the village permission to take it down. The property will then be graded off. Cost of the project is estimated at $150 which will all be in wages and which is included in the budget. A letter will be written to Purdy thanking him for allowing the village to remove the building.
March 13, 1953 Elmira Star-Gazette: OES Notice. Officers, members and friends of Waverly Chapter 9, OES, will meet today at 8 p.m. at the Page-Jamieson Funeral Home, Wellsburg, to conduct services for our late sister, Mrs. Verna Swain Squires. Signed: Mrs. Ralph Fralick, W. Matron. Ray Herrington, W. Patron.
March 19, 1953 Elmira Star-Gazette: Waverly OES Plan Banquet. Waverly - A reception and banquet honoring two district officers will be given by the Waverly Star Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, Tuesday night at 6:30 at the Waverly Masonic Temple. Helena L. Landon of Elmira, district deputy grand matron, and Ebben J. Elston of Lowman, district grand lecturer of the Chemung-Schuyler-Tioga District of New York State will be the honored guests. The meeting will follow at 8 p.m. Reservations for the dinner, to be served by Harmony Court, Order of the Amaranth, must be made with Louise Hawkins by Friday. Mrs. Mary Fralick, matron, and Ray D. Herrington, patron, will be in charge of the meeting. The drill team will meet for rehearsal Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at the Masonic Temple.
September 23, 1953 Elmira Star Gazette: St. Joseph’s Hospital - A son, today, Sept. 23, 1953, to Dr. Ralph and Alice Francisco Scott of 9 Athens St., Waverly (first floor)
November 9, 1953 Elmira Star-Gazette: 25 from Area Enrolled at Ithaca College. …The freshman and transfer students include: …Richard Draper, 8 Athens St., Waverly…
January 4, 1954 The Evening Times: Thomas Senall funeral Is Held. Largely attended funeral service for Thomas A. Senall of Waverly was held Saturday morning at 8:30 from the family home, 300 Chemung street, and at 9 o'clock with solemn high mass of requiem in St. James Catholic church. Rev. G. Stuart Hogan, pastor, was the celebrant, with Rev, Joseph McCarthy, assistant, as deacon and Rev. Anthony A. Noviello, assistant pastor of the Church of the Epiphany in Sayre, as subdeacon. Burial was in St. James cemetery, with Father McCarthy officiating at the grave. Honorary pallbearers were the following, all members of the Sayre Sons of Italy lodge: John Sandroni, Joseph Cost, John Cinelli, Nicholas Felicita, Joseph ... ( By 1959, Dr. Elliot Robinson was living at 300 Chemung street.)
January 8, 1954 Southern Tier Edition Courier Edition (Catholic Courier): Thomas A. Senall, 83, of 300 Chemung Street, Waverly, died Wednesday, Dec. 30, 1953. Mr. Senall was a communicant of St. James Church, and a member of its Holy Name Society. He was also a member of Roma Madre Lodge, Sons of Italy, Sayre; Waverly Lodge of Moose and Lehigh Veterans Association. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Collonical Senall; son, Joseph of Buffalo; daughters, Mrs. Louis Latrone of Waverly and Miss Natalie Senall of New York City; brother, Joseph Senall of Jersey City; several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held Saturday morning from the family home, and a Solemn High Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. James with the Rev. G. Stuart Hogan, pastor, celebrant; Rev. Joseph McCarthy, assistant pastor, deacon; and the assistant pastor of the Church of the Epiphany, Sayre, subdeacon. Burial was in St. James Cemetery, Father McCarthy offering the graveside prayers.
January 12, 1954 The Evening Times: Dr. Ralph M. Scott began his residency in radiology at Robert Packer Hospital Guthrie Clinic Jan. 1. Prior to entering his Internship at the Packer hospital, Dr. Scott was a member of the staff of the Blue Ridge Sanatorium, Charlottesville, Va. He received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Virginia and his doctor of medicine from the Medical College of Virginia. Dr. Scott served for three years in the Navy and was discharged with the rank of Lieutenant.
Dr. and Mrs. Scott and their two children reside at 9 Athens street, Waverly.
January 20, 1954 The Evening Times: Waverly Library Elects Tonight. Election of two trustees will feature the annual meeting of the board of trustees of the Waverly Free Library to be held tonight at 7:15 o’clock at the Library. The terms of Mrs. Evan S. Johnson and H. Slade Palmer expire. Present officers of the Library are: Mr. Palmer, president; Mrs. F. W. Merriam, vice president; Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp (436 Pennsylvania ave.), secretary; and Harold Watrous, treasurer.
February 3, 1954 Binghamton Press: Judge Clohessy Tells History of Waverly. Owego- Tioga County Judge Francis J. Clohessy, guest speaker at the annual dinner of the Waverly Chamber of Commerce held Monday night at O'Brien's Restaurant in Route 17, used the coming Waverly centennial this summer in the development of his speech. The Waverly Centennial, according to Judge Clohessy, is the anniversary of the incorporation of the village and the first official application of the name "Waverly," taken from the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott. "Factoryville was the father of the Village of Waverly," Judge Clohessy stated. "It was located near the Cayuta Creek, or Shepard's Creek and on the Towanda-Ithaca Turnpike and named by reason of the number of mills and factories erected along the creek." This was in 1800, according to old history. History Of Village. From this beginning and with the addition of many humorous anecdote, Judge Clohessy developed the history of the Village of Waverly. With the completion of the Erie Railroad in 1849, the erection of buildings and business establishments in the vicinity of the first depot led to the gradual movement of the settlement of what is now Waverly. In 1853, with a population of between 700 and 800 people, the need for water, police and fire protection developed, leading to a movement for the incorporation of a village. Names suggested at this time were Shepardsville, Davisville and Loder after early settlers. The name of Waverly was suggested by J. E. Hallett. On April 25, 1853, decision to incorporate was made. There were by this time 1,165 inhabitants. Application Filed. The application for incorporation was filed in the County Court in Owego on Dec. 12, 1853. On Jan. 18, 1854, a special election was held with 114 voters registered in favor of incorporation and 44 against the proposition. On Jan. 28, the certificate was endorsed by County Judge Charles P. Avery and filed in the Tioga County Clerk's office. On March 27, 1854, the first village election was held with five trustees elected and Hiram M. Moore chosen its first president.
February 16, 1954 The Evening Times: One 3 room and one 5 room modern apartment. Automatic heat, range, refrigerator, bath and shower. Adults. Apply 208 Chemung St., Waverly after 5 p.m.
March 2, 1954 Elmira: A son, Monday, Mar. 1, 1954, to Aloys and Agnes Driscoll Craus of 9 Athens St., Waverly. (second floor of 9 Athens St. Waverly, NY)
April 2, 1954 Elmira Star Gazette: Four Room and bath, third floor apartment in Waverly. Large porch, front and rear entrances. Off-street parking. 304 Chemung St., Phone Waverly 153.
April 3, 1954 The Evening Times: Mr. and Mrs. Harry Brown have returned to their home on Athens street, Waverly, after spending a few days in Corning.
April 11, 1954 The Sunday Press, Binghamton Press Sunday Edition: Squabble Will Destroy Old Waverly Bridge. Waverly - Waverly's Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge, more than a half century old, is slated to become a thing of the past within a few months time. A controversial subject for more than 20 years by successive village board, the original bridge was built in 1870 and was replaced by the present structure in 1896, with the railroad accepting full financial responsibility in the erection of both structures. The New York & Erie Railroad came through Waverly in 1849. On April 23, 1868, the Waverly Village Board determined to open Pennsylvania Avenue with the result that the bridge, spanning the railroad tracks, was built two years later. In 1896 in line with progress, the old structure was replaced with a new bridge, which for nearly 40 years was just a part of the throughfare known as Pennsylvania Avenue. With the passage of years, the bridge gradually deteriorated and in 1933, after a discussion with the Public Service Commission, the structure was repaired with the Erie Railroad assuming 50 per cent of the cost and the Village of Waverly and New York State each 25 per cent. Since that time, according to village records, no extensive repairs have been made to the structure, although the surface of the bridge was repaired by the village about three years ago because the condition of the roadway demanded it. During the intervening years after the bridge was replaced, the issue of to whom the financial responsibility belonged became increasingly controversial, with Waverly holding to an old ruling, which stated that any bridge built by a railroad prior to 1897 became the responsibility of the railroad. A series of hearings were held by representatives of Waverly and the railroad before the Public Service Commission but no official decision was reached. Just a year ago, in a referendum presented to Waverly voters, the question of any further expense for repairs to the bridge, as far as Waverly was concerned, was turned down by a three-to one vote. Now the road approaches to the bridge are blocked with high barricades and the razing of the historical structure is just a question of time.
Waverly Bridges Falling Down - The Pennsylvania Avenue Bridge in Waverly over the Erie Railroad tracks, a landmark for nearly 100 years, will soon be demolished although hearings and negotiations have been held for more than 20 years to establish the ownership of the bridge, the structure is doomed to go.
April 27, 1954 Elmira Star-Gazette: Modern Home or income property on Route 17. First floor, 5 rooms, two half baths, modern kitchen. second floor 4 bedrooms, full bath and shower, finished basement with shower and toilet, laundry and store room. oil heat. Van Noy Tourist Home, 203 Chemung Street, Waverly, N. Y. Phone 897. Owner transfered.
June 24, 1954 Binghamton Press: WAVERLY TO CELEBRATE 100TH YEAR. Special to The Binghamton Press. Waverly - Turning back the pages of history a hundred years this village is ready to celebrate its first 100 years of existence with a mammoth Centennial Celebration with parades, pageants and rodeo sports. The first five days of the Centennial which begins Saturday will be given over to the presentation nightly of a historical pageant "The Cent-o-rama" in Memorial Stadium. The pageant will include a fireworks display. The final five days of the celebration will be given over to the westerners and the cowboy will hold the spotlight as the JE Ranch Rodeo moves into the stadium with 200 head of outlaw bucking horses, wild longhorn steers, vicious Brahma bucking bulls and trained cowponies with contests of broncho busting, calf roping, wild steer wrestling, bull riding and kindred sports of the cattle country, in which approximately 100 cowboys and cowgirls will vie for thousands of dollars in cash prizes. The rodeo in addition to its nightly performances will hold matinee contests July 3, 4, and 5.
June 26, 1954 Binghamton Press: AD. WAVERLY CENTENNIAL. June 26 to July 5. SPECTACULAR PAGEANT Nightly June 26 to 30. JE RANCH CHAMPIONSHIP RODEO Nightly July 1st to 5th Matinees July 3-4-5. Admission Adults $1.10, Children 86 c Reserved Seats $1.65 tax inc. MEMORIAL STADIUM WAVERLY, N. Y
1954 Dr. and Mrs. (Frank and Elnora) Boyle and their children, David, Sue Anne and Laurie, spent the weekend visiting, Mrs. Boyle's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. (Ella) Knapp, Jr., of 97 Center street.
June 26, 1954 The Evening Times: According to an authentic story told by Mrs. F. W. Merriam of 304 Chemung street, Waverly, the then young Federal government gave 1,000 acres of land to her great great grand uncle, Major General Thomas Thomas of the Revolutionary Army for his war service. General Thomas is the same "T. Thomas" referred to in early Waverly history who sold 1,000 acres of land to John Shepard. General Thomas married Katherine Floyd and his sister, Margaret Thomas, married the brother of his wife, Charles Floyd. Both of the general’s children died before he did and so his Revolutionary relics descended to the children of his sister, Mrs. Floyd. Mrs. Merriam's grandfather, Thomas Floyd, who was the grand nephew of the general, came to this vicinity in about 1804, bringing his family and one slave. He purchased a farm near the Chemung river, west of the holdings that had been sold to the Shepards. His wife evidently had no veneration for relics, because she had the silver hilt of the general's sword melted down and made into teaspoons. These later came to Mrs. Merriam as a legacy and have since been given by her to her daughter, Jean, Mrs. Robert Bloom of Newburgh, N.Y.
Slaves Shown in Early Census. The census of 1810 showed Tioga county had a population of 7,899 persons, including 17 slaves. Ten years later, the number of slaves had increased to 104 and 32 free colored persons were also reported. By 1830, all were free. In 1900, the village of Waverly had a population of 4,465. Of these 4,409 were white and 55 colored. There were 2,089 males and 2,376 females.
From Athens, Owen Spaulding came to Waverly in 1826, where his work in developing the village earned for him the title of many as the "Founder of Waverly." From Waverly, Howard Elmer purchased 321 acres in 1870 of what is now the heart of Sayre and in 1871 he and his associates purchased another 400 acres increasing their total holdings to over 700 acres at a cost of $140,000. He continued his work towards the development of Sayre.
Lockwood was known as Bingham's Mills after Charles Bingham, Sr., its earliest settler, and his son, Charles, Jr., who erected the first sawmill in that section.
The earliest record of training of Waverly area residents for military purposes was in 1825 when Cyrus Johnson organized a militia company at Factoryville. This had 100 members drawn mostly from Ellistown and Factoryville, Mr. Johnson was the first captain and Washington Smith was orderly sergeant. The company usually met at William Bensley's hotel near Barton and drilled on the flats near the Cannon Hole.
The participation of Waverly area residents in the wars of our nation was first recorded in local history in 1861 when DeForest Payne left his desk in the classroom at the Institute and enlisted in the Union Army for Civil War duty. Following Payne's enlistment in the Union Army, the 23rd Infantry division was organized and left for camp, May 7, 1861. In 1862, Waverly members of the 109th Infantry reported to camp. In all, 200 men from Barton fought during the four-year Civil War. Five lost their lives and 10 were taken prisoners by the Confederate Army. Waverly volunteers went under fire at Ball's Cross Roads, Va., on Aug. 24, 1861. In November, 1864, news was received of the death of Col. Walter C. Hull, a former Waverly Institute student, who was killed at Cedar Creek. He was the youngest cavalry colonel in the Army.
In September, 1878 the Waverly Grand Army of the Republic post was organized in Waverly and named in Col. Hull's honor. On Feb. 29, 1888, Camp 88, Sons of Union Veterans post was organized. Waverly residents participated in the Spanish American War and during World War I,237 Waverly men went into the service and in World War II, 1,034 men entered the service of their country. After World War I, the organization of the American Legion spread across the country and it came to Waverly in 1922. It was chartered in January, 1922, as the Betowski-VanDeMark American Legion post in memory of Frederick VanDeMark and Captain Paul Betowski, the first two Waverly men to lose their lives in World War I. Richard McNamara, Sr., did most of the preliminary work in organizing the post with 45 charter members and the late Percy Canoll was first commander. Miss Fanchon Shear was the first woman member. The post met in rooms over the First National bank, rooms over Payne's drug store and finally settled in rooms provided on the third floor of the Albertson building as provided in the will of Captain and Mrs. Charles Albertson. The advent of World War II resulted in the strengthening of the American Legion in Waverly and across the nation. The new influx of members here spurred the desire for a permanent meeting home. With the aid of the Chamber of Commerce drive headed by Earl J. Payne, the Legion raised a fund of nearly $20,000 for the renovation of the East Waverly school which had been purchased from the school district about one year after a fire in March of 1947 had nearly gutted the structure. The home was opened in 1930 after a series of workbees by the members supplemented the work of contractors to finish the basement and first floor assembly hall. The hall was made possible through a large contribution from Mrs. Prentice Shepard and it was dedicated Shepard Memorial Hall. Murals by the late David Lougher enhance the beauty of that hall. Richard Robinson is the Legionnaire signalled out by the post as being one of the main driving forces behind this successful undertaking. The post is now working to finish the third floor for meeting room purposes. Along with the Legion post came the auxiliary in 1922 with Mrs. M. Louise Thompson as its first president and Mrs. Edna DeWitt as the first secretary. The auxiliary has been like a right arm to the post; helping with the post's many projects, including the work on Memorial Home.
The use of the Waverly village-owned park in front of the Junior high school for recess and other recreational activities of boys and girls was not always allowed. When Waverly Institute was in operation in the 1870's, a fence had been erected between the main park and the few feet of school ground. The fence confined the boys to the restricted, small play area of the school. One day, Owen Spaulding, who had given the park area to the village, appeared on the scene and noticed the boys having a hard time playing in their confined quarters. According to a report of an Institute student at the time, Mr. Spaulding waved his hand in the direction of the rail fence and said, "Go it, boys, go it." They did and from that time forth the park has been used for numerous recreational activities of the school and community and only during the past few years has been flooded by the Recreation Commission under the direction of Andrew P. Codispoti director, and allowed to freeze for use as an ice skating area.
(Talking about Waverly's Centennial Celebration) - In January of 1953, H. M. Sawyer had accepted the general chairmanship but a few months later he stepped down. Failure to find a man to take charge had the program destined for the scrap heap. From June to September of that year, a search for a sponsoring organization and man to take over the tremendous task of organization went on. Finally, the Chamber of Commerce under the urging of Mr. Jewell, a director, and others decided to organize a committee to take over the responsibility. At a directors' meeting held at the home of Director Glenn Ryan at 15 Garfield street on Sept. 21, 1953, Earl J. Payne accepted the general chairmanship and as a part of the agreement, Mr. Jewell and Thomas Rynone accepted the co-chairmen posts. From that time on under Mr. Payne's able direction, the Centennial celebration became a definite program. He mapped out the idea of 10-days of celebration with a different feature for each day. Plans were completed for many things from carnivals, parade routes, pageants, engagement of the Rogers company and its technical know-how, leasing of Memorial Stadium, preparation of the brochure, contracting for a decorating company services to completing an agreement with Col. Jim Eskew to bring the JE Rodeo to its downtown showing at the Stadium. Bringing of the Tioga County American Legion convention here to coincide with today's opening and of the Tioga County Firemen's annual convention for July 3 were big aides in spotting great days of program events throughout the 10-day program. Shortly after his acceptance of the general chairmanship, Mr. Payne and his co-chairmen, Mr. Jewell and Mr. Rynone, named an executive committee comprised of sub-committee chairmen -within the executive committee. They are as follows: Advisory, Dr. Harry S. Fish, Mayor Phillips Cramer, Judge Francis J. Clohessy, C. Frisbie Howard and Don W. McClelland; Roland Holmes, treasurer; Hart I. Seely, Jr., secretary; Alfred L. Ault, publicity, Mr. Gibbs, finance; Lynn Marshall, decorations; Glenn Ryan, Legion; Thomas Knapp, sales days; Richard Robinson and Francis Cummings, firemen Police Chief A. F. Button, traffic; Walter W. Grunfeld, brochure; Miss Mary W. Muldoon, historical editor; Arthur Rae music; Herbert H. Smith, legal advisor; Rev. Homrighouse, church day; Andrew Codispoti, parade; Michael Yanuzzi, carnival; H. Slade Palmer and Francis Morrison, pageant; Ronald L. Robinson, headquarters: Louis Bevi and Omer J. Grace, industrial and railroad; Richard McNamara, rodeo; and Walter D. Knowles, goodwill ambassador.
Writes History. Mary Muldoon, writer of historical content of the Centennial brochure, has contributed much to the Centennial and to the historical authenticity of material reported in this special section. Parade Marshal Andrew Paul Codispoti, recreational director, is in charge of planning Centennial parades.
June 26, 1954 The Evening Times: Origins of Names of Landmarks Write Own History of Waverly. ... Moore street for Hiram and Emmett Moore, local contractors who built many Waverly homes that are still standing... Orange street for Mr. Orange, an Erie agent at Waverly, Orchard street opened by Joseph Dubois through land once owned by Joseph Hallett and earlier by John Spaulding. Park Place was formerly a private street ... Ellistown for Ebezener Ellis, the first settler at the mouth of Ellis creek. Shepard Hall at Waverly American Legion Memorial Home, Shepard Hills Country Club and Shepard creek, all for the Shepard family, who were among the early and most prominent settlers at Milltown. ...Thomas street for Hiram Thomas of Sayre, who owned land there. Pennsylvania avenue for the adjoining state. Pine street after the pine woods through which it was laid. Sawyer place for the Sawyer family. It was given to the village by Fred A. Sawyer and extended through a tract of land formerly owned by his father, Charles H. Sawyer. Spaulding street for Owen Spaulding, recognized by many as the "Father of Waverly." Spring street for the many springs along the street right-of-way. Tracy road for Mrs. E. C. (Gertrude) Tracy, who built the Iron Kettle Inn. ... Tioga county was taken from the Indians and some translate it to mean, "Gateway." ... Ball street for the Ball family that resided there. Barker place for John Barker, one of Factoryville's early merchants. Blizzard street for Daniel Blizzard on whose land the street was laid. Cadwell Avenue for Mr. Cadwell who resided there. Cayuta avenue because it ran parallel to the former Cayuta creek, now Shepard creek. Charles street for Charles Attice, who built the first house there. Clinton avenue for Dewitt Clinton Atwater on whose land much of the street was laid. Elizabeth street has two stories of origins connected to its naming. One claims that the street was named for the wife, of the owner, Judge Arthur Yates, on whose land the street was laid. The other claims it was named after Mrs. Elizabeth Blake, wife of the first owner of the Tioga hotel. Elliot street for Mr. Eliiot who gave the land for the street to the village. Elm street for the many Elm trees planted. Florence street for the only child, who died in her youth, of Mr. and Mrs. Augustus Dowd, who owned the land. Forest street was named by Fort Schuyler, who gave the land as a gift to the village. Mr. Schuyler also owned much of the land where Glenwood cemetery is now located. Howard and Providence streets were both named by Charles Howard, who with Owen Spaulding owned much of the land in that area. The origin of the Howard street name is obvious while Providence street was named for Mr. Howard's hometown in Rhode Island. Ithaca street because it led through Factoryville to the Athens and Ithaca railroad station and the train to Ithaca. It was so named by Gordon Manning who owned land on Ithaca street. Johnson street possibly for Dr. W. E. Johnson, an early president of the village. Lincoln street for President Abraham Lincoln. Loder street for Benjamin Loder, a vice president of the Erie railroad at the time of its arrival at Waverly. Lyman avenue for Moses Lyman.
In 1833, Joseph E. Hallett, who organized the Waverly fire department, arrived here. A farmer, builder and carpenter, he built several homes on Chemung and adjoining streets and played an important role in Waverly's growth.
June 28, 1954 Binghamton Press: Sharon Armstrong Crowned Queen of Waverly Centennial. Observance To Continue Through July 5. Binghamton Press Bureau. Waverly - Miss Sharon Armstrong of Waverly has been named queen of the Waverly centennial celebration which will continue through Monday, July 5. She was crowned Saturday night by Tioga County Sheriff Howard O. Searles at the end of opening day festivities which featured a two-mile-long afternoon parade through the business section. Tioga County Judge Francis J. Clohessy served as master of ceremonies at exercises held at the Memorial Stadium where marchers disbanded. In opening the ceremony, Judge Clohessy said in part: "It is not easy for us to realize that 100 years ago the present site of the Village of Waverly was a sparsely settled spot, fringed with woodlands and hills, and with its future developments hidden in the mind of Divine Providence. Scene Changes. "The wheels of time have turned-the almost unimaginable period of a century has passed-and with it the scenes on the stage of life have changed and rechanged." Judge Clohessy then introduced the Rev. Frederick J. Homrighouse, pastor of Owego Presbyterian Church and chaplain of the centennial, who gave the invocation. Also introduced by Judge Clohessy were Mayor Phillips Cramer and John B. Ryan, Jr., of Albany, a candidate for the post of commander of the New York State American Legion, who was principal speaker. Centennial committee members also were introduced during the afternoon ceremonies. They outlined the 10-day program. Pageant Presented. The annual convention of the Tioga County American Legion was held in Waverly Saturday afternoon as part of the program. The first showing of the historical pageant, which will be repeated each night until Thursday, was presented Saturday night. Yesterday, which was featured as Church Day, a 200-voice chorus presented a concert under the direction of Dr. Frederick Fay Swift, guest conductor and director of music at Harwick College, Oneonta. The chorus, which included choirs from churches in Waverly, Sayre, Pa., Athens, Pa., and the Owego Presbyterian Union Church, was trained by Arthur Rae, director of music at Waverly High School. HomeComing Day. Today will be Homecoming and Old Timers Day and will feature the opening of the Charles Ferris Shows at the high school grounds. Tomorrow will be Railroad and Industry Day with a parade in the afternoon, featuring railroad displays. Youth and Kiddie Day will be held Wednesday and will include a pet show parade and a Little League baseball game in the afternoon. Thursday, Rodeo Day, will mark the first showing of the J. E. Rodeo, with repeat matinee and evening performances until the closing day of the centennial, July 5. Merchants Sales Day, bringing back prices of 100 years ago, will be held Friday. Saturday will mark Firemen's Day and will include a firemen's parade, contests and a block dance in the Junior High School Park. Sunday, July 4, will feature a band concert at the Junior High School Park. The grand finale will be a mammoth parade through Waverly, Monday, July 5, at 11 a. m.
July 15, 1954 Geneva Daily Times: County Fairs, Other Attractions Bring Tourists to Southern Tier Counties. One hundred seventy-five years ago soldiers of the Sullivan-Clinton Expedition were enthralled by the scenic beauty and fertile lands of the Southern Tier country of New York State. Today, this region of rolling hills, verdant valleys and farmlands continues to hold its charm for the tourist and vacationist. Numerous markers along Route 17 from Binghamton to Elmira follow the path of the expedition which in 1779 destroyed Indian villages from which the British had sent war parties against the unprotected New York frontier. It was this mission that broke the strength of the powerful Iroquois Indians. Many members of the expedition were first settlers of the area and many descendants of these early Americans still live in the Southern Tier. At Newtown Battlefield Reservation, near Elmira, tourists can camp or picnic where the Battle of Newtown was fought. A monument to Sullivan, the victorious general, is on top of the 1,507 foot hill. Another memorial to this valiant group of soldiers is the Village of Horseheads. It was here that the Indians collected and arranged in a mile-long trail the skulls of a large number of horses. The skulls were from the sick and crippled beasts which had been disposed of by the expedition. The spot was referred to as the "trail of the horses heads." The present village was named in commemoration of the event. Dates for Fairs. Horseheads will be headquarters of the Chemung County Fair, one of four area county fairs, from August 15-21. Owego will hold the Tioga County Fair, July 25-31. Broome County displays its best at Whitney Point, August 2-7, and the Steuben County show opens at Bath, August 23-28. Corning, a busy city near the southern border, has a museum devoted entirely to glass. In the modern, air-conditioned Corning Glass Center are glass objects from 1500 B. C. to the present. Other exhibits include a 3,500 year-old Egyptian vase and a 200 inch telescope disc weighing 20 tons-the experimental model of the reflector now in use at Mt. Palomar Observatory. One of the best vantage points for enjoying the scenery is Harris Hill, gliding and soaring center, near Elmira. Eldridge Lake Park, popular recreation spot, is nearby and offers water sports, picnic grounds and a midway. It was near Elmira that Samuel L. Clemens, known as Mark Twain, wrote "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" and other stories. His quaint pilot-house study can be seen on the Elmira College campus. A Mark Twain Festival will be held at Elmira, September 14-16. Richford, in Tioga County, is wide known as the birthplace of the late John D. Rockefeller. In the latter years of his life, that famous millionaire often visited the house of his birth, in the northeastern corner of the town. Industries Prominent. Dotting this area are a few industrial centers whose manufactured products are nationally known. Information on the Southern Tier is contained in the 1954 edition of "New York State Vactionlands," a 196-page, color-illustrated booklet, which can be obtained without charge from the State Department of Commerce, 112 State St., Albany 7, N. Y. Binghamton, largest city in the area is a noted industrial center with emphasis on shoe manufacturing, fabrication of machinery, and processing of photographic supplies. The Ansco Division of General Aniline Film Corporation in located here. More than 500 green-thumbed gladiolus enthusiasts are set to exhibit their proudest blooms at the Annual Eastern International Gladiolus Show in Binghamton, August 17-18. Twelve miles northeast of Binghamton is 902-acre Chenango Valley State Park which provides trailer and tentsites and a variety of sports. The New York State Field Archery Association championships are planned for September 12 at Painted Post, near Corning. Visitors can see the painted post as well as the statue of a handsome Indian at the entrance to the village. Both were inspired by the legend of an enormous oaken shaft that was erected to mark the spot where the great chief, Montour, died. Magnificent views of the Chemung and Susquehanna river valleys can be seen from Waverly Hill. Motels and cabin colonies line the route into and leaving this scenic community while several tourist homes are available in the village. Waverly, this year, celebrated its 100th anniversary. Free tours through the Endicott-Johnson shoe manufacturing plants at Endicott are available daily, Monday to Friday, at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.
August 2, 1954 Binghamton Press: Violent Storm Causes Damage in Waverly, Owego. Other Sections of Tioga Not Hit by Tornado. Binghamton Press Bureau. Owego- The freak wind and rain storm, which hit Tioga County late Saturday afternoon, picked only the Villages of Owego and Waverly for its accompanying damage. The damage in Waverly, already reported, was extensive. Chemung Street, Route 17 in Waverly, was blocked for several hours by fallen limbs and trees. The heavy limbs also damaged several homes in the village, including the home of Charles O'Connell at 136 Center Street, where a section of the roof and attic were crushed. Both telephone service and electric power were cut off for some time after falling trees had ripped through the lines in several places. Less Severe. In Owego the storm was less severe with only sections of the village hit by tornado-like winds. ...
September 9, 1954 Schenectady Gazette: Canajoharie - Mrs. George B. Knapp (436 Pennsylvania ave.), Waverly, and Miss Charlotte Knapp, Ithaca, were holiday guests of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker.
1955 Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp (436 Pennsylvania ave.), secretary of Waverly Free Library
1955 Binghamton NY Press: Tioga TB Group to Honor 79 Famillies Who Gave Aid. Owego- Seventy families, who have contributed to the work of the Tioga County Tuberculosis and Public Health Association, will be honored at the annual dinner meeting of the association in the Deep Well restaurant, west of Owego, next Friday night. Families to be honored include:..Mrs. George B. Knapp (436 Penns. ave. Waverly, NY),...Mrs. F. W. Merriam, Percy Meserve,...Mr. and Mrs. George Palmer, ...Mrs. Clarence Scott, Mrs. Jesse Searles,...
June 28, 1955 The Evening Times - Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Lawrence of 4 Athens street, Waverly, were honored Saturday night by all the families on Athens street, the occasion being their 50th wedding anniversary. A picnic supper was served. The Lawrence's three children, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Lawrence and sons of Waverly, Mr. and Mrs. Dick Lawrence and daughter of Chicago and Elmer Lawrence of Waverly, were present to help them celebrate. The well known couple were presented with many gifts. They were entertained at other parties during the week.
September 5, 1955 from Schenectady NY Gazette: Mrs. George B. Knapp (436 Pennsylvania ave.), Waverly, and Miss Charlotte Knapp, Ithaca, were recent guests of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker.
Nov. 5, 1955 Schenectady Gazette Canajoharie Church Buys Spraker House For Sunday School Use
CANAJOHARIE — The Canajoharie Reformed Church Sunday school will soon occupy the new church religious education building adjoining the Front street church property on the west. Church officials have arranged for the purchase of the home of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker, a brick building more than 100 years old....
December 21, 1955 The Evening Times: Born to Dr. Jack and Patricia Theobold Young of 9 Athens street, Waverly, a son today in the Robert Packer Hospital. Dr. Young is an intern at the hospital.
December 22, 1955 The Geneva Times: Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Knapp of Waverly, N. Y., and Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Knapp of Toledo, O., will spend Christmas with Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Boyle of 74 Highland Ave.
1956 - 1972, at 337 Broad Street is Andy Siedlecki, lawyer, along with soda fountain, cut rate variety store. (from Don Merrill's collection)
From 1956 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 9 Athens Street - Daniel Heryford and Jack A. Young; at 208 Chemung Street - Mrs. Lillian Shaw, Ralph Fralick, Richard Catlin, Walter Kintz, Gerald Peterson, vacant; at 208 1/2 Chemung Street - Donald Holton
March 7, 1956 Binghamton Press: Waverly Hotel Top Floor Is Ruined by $30,000. Owego- The top floor of the three-story Norwood Hotel in Fulton Street in downtown Waverly was gutted by fire last night and the second floor is extensively damaged. Loss in the blaze, which was brought under control by Waverly firemen after a three-hour battle, was estimated at $30,000, much of it caused by the tons of water poured into the structure. Waverly Chief Richard Robinson, directed the firefighters as they fought to keep the flames from spreading to other commercial buildings adjacent to the hotel, a Waverly landmark. ...Origin of the blaze was still undetermined today.
May 22, 1956 Elmira Star Gazette: Deaths Elsewhere. Mrs. Carolyn Storms Sebring of Utica, formerly of Waverly, Friday, May 18, 1956, following and extended illness. She taught school in Wilawana and Milltown, Pa., and Elmira; was a member of the Presbyterian Church and Polyhymnia Club in Waverly. Survived by husband, Atty. Edgar Sebring; sons, John of Buffalo and Edgar Jr. of Trumansburg. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon in Utica. Masonic Home Cemetery, Utica. (The Sebring's lived with Mrs. Gertrude Slaughter Knapp at 208 Chemung Street, Waverly, NY. from about 1937 to 1945, in an apartment in the home.)
June 23, 1956, Mary Gertrude Slaughter Knapp died. Former owner of the 208 Chemung st. Waverly, NY estate, which she sold in 1945.
June 25, 1956 The Evening Times: Gertrude Knapp Dies, Lifelong Waverly Resident. Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp, 66, of 436 Pennsylvania avenue, Waverly and a lifelong resident died Saturday night at 10 o'clock in the Robert Packer Hospital after an extended illness. She was the widow of George B. Knapp. Born in Waverly, she was the daughter of Samuel W. and Charlotte W. Slaughter. Mrs. Knapp was a member of the Waverly First Presbyterian Church and of Carantouan chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Surviving are one daughter, Miss Charlotte Knapp of Ithaca; and several nieces, nephews and cousins. The body is in the Russell funeral home, 462 Fulton street Waverly, where friends may call tonight from 7 to 9 o'clock. Funeral service will be held tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 o'clock with Rev. Frederick Homrighouse, pastor of the Waverly Presbyterian church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.
June 27, 1956 The Evening Times: Gertrude Knapp Funeral Is Held. Largely attended funeral services for Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp of 436 Pennsylvania avenue, Waverly, were held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 at Russell funeral home. Rev. Frederick Homrighouse, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Waverly, officiated. The Carantouan chapter of the Waverly DAR attended the services. Pallbearers were: Wilton S. Hall, Harold C. Watrous, H. Slade Palmer, Victor L. Buley, Francis L. R. Gibbs and Herbert H. Smith. Burial was in Glenwood cemetery.
June 28, 1956 Waverly Sun: Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp Succumbs to Illness. Funeral services were Tuesday afternoon, June 26, at Russell Funeral home in Waverly for Mrs. Gertrude S. Knapp, 66, of 436 Pennsylvania avenue, Waverly, who died Saturday night in Robert Packer hospital after an extended illness. The Rev. Frederick M. Homrighouse, pastor of the Waverly Presbyterian church, officiated with burial in Glenwood cemetery. Mrs. Knapp was the widow of George B. Knapp. She was the daughter of Samuel W. and Charlotte W. Slaughter, a lifelong resident of Waverly, a member of Waverly First Presbyterian church and Carantouan chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Survivors include one daughter, Miss Charlotte Knapp of Ithaca, and several nieces, nephews, and cousins. (Russell Funeral Home, 462 Fulton St., Waverly, NY, then later McKee Memorial Chapel)
June 29, 1956 Schenectady Gazette: Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker attended the funeral service in Waverly Tuesday afternoon of Mrs. George B. Knapp, Waverly, a former visitor at Mrs. Spraker's home.
June 29, 1956 Elmira Star Gazette: Furniture and furnishings, some antiques from the estate of the late Mrs. Frank W. Merriam now on sale at 304 Chemung St., Waverly. May be seen from 1-5 and 7-9 p.m.
July 10, 1956 Binghamton Press: Letters Filed In 3 Estates. ...Gertrude S. Knapp, late of Waverly, to Charlotte Knapp, daughter, of Waverly, Value not known.
August 17, 1956 The Geneva Times: Dr. and Mrs. Frank P. Boyle, with their daughters Laurie and Sue Anne, of 74 Highland Ave., will sail Saturday on the Matson Line's Lurline out of San Francisco, for Hawaii. Dr. Boyle, formerly with the Experiment Station, is now associated with Dole Pineapple Company, directing research toward the development of new products.
January 30, 1957 The Evening Times: Slade Palmer of Waverly was reelected president of the Waverly Free Library at the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees. Also reelected for a three year term to serve with Mr. Palmer was Mrs. Evan S. Johnson, vice president. Mrs. Lawrence L. Peterson was elected to fill the unexpired term of the late Mrs. George B. Knapp, who was a trustee. The library now has a total of 13,496 volumes, it was noted in the report of the librarian, Mrs. L. W. Lunn. During the year she reported that 2,733 borrowed 44,137 books and magazines. It was reported that there was a noticeable increase in the number of people who used the reading room. The annual membership enrollment totaled $880 with other members still expected to join before the May 1 closing date. Thanks were expressed to Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Bell-Isle, who were responsible for a new typewriter being given to the library.
March 8, 1957 The Evening Times: PAST MATRONS and Past Patrons club of Waverly Star Chapter will meet at the home of Mrs. Ralph Fralick of 208 Chemung street, Monday at 7:30 p.m.
1957 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY Charlotte Knapp is listed as an "Honorary Member", Honorary Society In Mechanical Engineering.
1957 (Mr. Edward Spraker) Mr. Spraker is a son of Mrs. Wilbur A. Spraker, Wheelock Street, Canajoharie, and the late Wilbur A. Spraker, former assistant postmaster. His grandfather, the late Joseph A. Spraker, of Sprakers, was vice-president of the National Spraker Bank, Canajoharie, which was established in the present bank building by early generations of the Spraker family, and was merged with the First National Bank of Canajoharie. (Gertrude and Charlotte Knapp were friends of the Spraker's)
April 29, 1957 The Evening Times: Miss Lena Alamo of 7 Athens street and Mrs. Mickey Alamo of Johnson City are spending two weeks in Los Angeles, Cal, and while there will attend the 50th wedding anniversary of their cousin, Mr. and Mrs. Domnic Scambalone.
November 1957 Daily Press, Utica, N. Y.: Mother Of Proprietor Of Inn In Clinton, 75, Mrs. Ada Belle Jenkins, 75, of Corning, died Nov. 4, 1957, in the Corning Hospital. She was the mother of Mrs. George F. Traub, Clinton, proprietor of the Alexander Hamilton Inn. Mrs. Jenkins was a resident of Corning for the past 12 years, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Albert Portner. She was born Nov. 24, 1881, in Campbell, N. Y., a daughter of Rufus and Lana Smith Platt. In 1929 she founded the Jenkins Inn (202 Chemung st.) at Waverly, and retired in 1943. She was a member of Centenary Methodist Church, Bath. Besides Mrs. Traub and Mrs. Portner, she leaves another daughter, Mrs. James Sliney, Elmira; a sister, Mrs. Grant Armstrong, Painted Post; three grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held at 2 tomorrow from the Fagan Funeral Home, Bath, with the Rev. Harold F. Hewitt, pastor of Centenary Church, and the Rev. Arthur C. Rehme, Corning, officiating. Burial will be in the Nondaga Cemetery, Bath.
November 29, 1957 Waverly: The Earl J. Payne Cut rate store on (337) Broad street, Waverly, has been sold to Mrs. Louise Brewer, who has been an employee in the store for over 12 years. Mrs. Brewer plans to refurbish the store and in addition establish a new line of gifts and serve hot meals daily. Mr. Payne will continue to operate the Waverly street liquor store as in the past.
December 4, 1957 The Evening Times: Polyhymnia club members gave a program of Christmas music at their annual holiday party last evening at the home of Mrs. Ralph Fralick, 208 Chemung street, Waverly, who was chairman of the program. Mrs. Dorothy Potter Shellard was guest artist. With the hostess, Mrs. Fralick, Mrs. Shellard played "A Christmas Eve Memory" by Wilson and "Jingle Bells" by Pierpont in an organ-piano duet to open the program. She then presented two piano solos, "Clair de Lune" by Debussy and "The Cat and the Mouse" by Copland. Two organ solos, "Andante Cantabile" by Tschaikowsky and "Twas the Night Before Christmas" by Moore were played by Mrs. Shellard and she and Mrs. Fralick played "He Shall Feed His Flock" by Handel in a piano-organ duet at the close of the program. Members taking part in the porgram were Mrs. Gene Dimmick, Mrs. F. M. Homrighouse and Mrs. J. William Merrill who presented a vocal trio, "O Little Hills of Nazareth" by O'Hara; Mrs. Fralick who played two organ solos, "Green-sleeves" (Old English) and "Cantique de Noel" by Adam; and Mrs. Thomas Knapp who sang "The Blue Madonna" by Niles, accompanied by Mrs. Arnold Williams. Mrs. Lawrence Conlon gave a Christmas reading, "Let's Keep Christmas" by Peter Marshall. Members of the chorus sang several carols after the meeting. Mrs. William Smith of Grand Rapids, Mich., mother of Mrs. Russell Worobec, was a guest at the meeting. Refreshments were served by Mrs. Harry B. Smith, chairman; Mrs. Fred Pittsley, Mrs. Clifford Parshall, Mrs. Robert Bean and Mrs. Merrill.
January 25, 1958 The Evening Times: Young. Born to Dr. Jack and Margaret Theobald Young of 9 Athens street, Waverly, a son Friday in the Robert Packer Hospital.
From 1958 Directory of Athens, Sayre, & Waverly: at 9 Athens Street - Daniel Heryford, Jack A. Young; at 208 Chemung Street - Mrs. Lillian Shaw, Ralph Fralick, Richard Catlin, Walter Kintz, Reuben Long, vacant; at 208 1/2 Chemung Street - Donald Holton
May 31, 1958 Robert G. and Vera C. Callison owns 208 Chemung st. Waverly, NY, which includes 208 1/2 Chemung st. and 9 Athens st. Mary I. Fralick to Robert G. Callsion and Vera C. Callison.
1958 from Binghamton NY Press: VILLAGE OF WAVERLY - Mary I. Fralick to Robert G. and Vera C. Callison.
1958 Binghamton Press: New Face for Route 34. Owego - Route 34 is having its face lifted. A wide swath of bare earth extend from the intersection of Routes 34 and 17 at Waverly as far as the eye can see. Trees along once shady North Chemung Street have been removed. ... The $1,705,000 project involves the widening and improvement of 7.4 miles of the route, which runs north from Waverly just inside Tioga County line, into Chemung County and on to Ithaca, in Tompkins County. Improvements will be made in a 1.74 mile stretch of the highway here and in a five-mile section north of Lockwood. The Dalrymple Gravel & Construction Co. of Elmira has undertaken the job. Early estimates called for completion of the Waverly section by early this winter, with the entire project finished by September, 1959. ...
April 17, 1958 From Palmyra newspaper: Mrs. Norman Leo Ryan (Miss Ann Marie Noonan) A beautiful Spring wedding took place in St. Michael's Church, Newpark, on Saturday, April 12, at 10:00 a.m., when Miss Ann Marie Noonan, daughter of Mrs. William Riorden Noonan of Newark and the late Mr. Noonan, became the bride of Norman Leo Ryan, son of Mr. and Mrs Dennis J. Ryan of Maccedon. .... The bride is a graduate of Neward High School and has a B.A. degree from the College of New Rochelle. She has been associated with the atomic energy project at the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester. The bridegroom is a graduate of Walworth High School and Brockport State Teacher's College. He has a Master's degree in Social Service Administration from the University of Chicago. He is now Senior Case Worker in the Child Welfare Division in the Tioga County Department of Social Welfare in Owego, New York. After a wedding trip to Virginia Beach, Virginia, the couple will be home May 1 at 208 Chemung Street, Waverly, New York.
July 19, 1958 Binghamton Press: Roy C. Shadduck of 30 James Street, died early this morning at his home. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Frances E. Shadduck; a son, Thomas Shadduck, both of Binghamton; a brother, Harry Shadduck of Florida; two grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. He was a member of Tabernacle Methodist Church, Kalurah Shrine, AAONMS, Harford Lodge, No. 445, F&AM, Moose Club, Waverly Rotary Club and was engaged in the real estate business in Binghamton for many years. The body was removed to the Prentice Funeral Home, 55 Main Street, where the family will receive friends tomorrow from 7 to 9 p.m. and Monday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
August 8, 1958 Binghamton Press: Shadduck Left $15,000 Estate The estate of Roy C. Shadduck of Binghamton, who died July 19, is approximately $15,000 in value, according to legal papers in Surrogate Court. Under Mr. Shadduck's will, drawn in 1946, the entire estate was bequeathed to his wife, Mrs. Frances E. Shadduck of 30 James Street. However, under a codicil drawn in 1951, Mr. Shadduck's interest in the Valley Realty Agency, 461 Waverly Street, Waverly, goes to Bertha J. Bellis of Waverly. The estate is represented by Meagher, Eisenhart & Madigan. (Roy C. Shadduck Valley Realty sign was found in our basement at 208 Chemung st. Waverly, NY, we gave the sign to the late Don Merrill for his Waverly collection. The sign is now displayed in the Waverly Historical Society's museum. The sign is from 1958, when Mary Fralick had the property for sale.)
October 21, 1958 The Evening Times: Waverly Library Memorials Given A New List of Memorial Books Donated to the Waverly Free Library and contributions to the Mrs. F. W. Merriam Endowment Fund have been announced by the librarian Mrs. L. W. Lunn. ... The following people have contributed to the Mrs. F. W. Merriam Endowment Fund in memory of Mrs. Dorothy Maier Young: Mrs. Orrin D. Crammer, Miss Charlotte S. Knapp and Robert P. Fraser. Contribution to the Mrs. F. W. Merriam Fund has been made by Mr. and Mrs. M. O. Wilson in memory of Mrs. Eleanor Cabot Lyford.
January 30, 1959 The Evening Times: Regular meeting of the Waverly WCTU was held Tuesday afternoon at the Albertson building. ... Wheeler stated that the Willard chapter of the Waverly WCTU is entering its 73rd year. Many people will remember the women whose names appear on the charter: Mrs. Elvira Lang, Mrs. Levi Curtis, Mrs. Gertrude Shoemaker, Mrs. Louise Genung, Mrs. Charlotte Slaughter, Mrs. Frances Knapp, Mrs. James Angel, Mrs. Benjamin Bonnell, Mrs. Lillian Barnum, Mrs. Addie Kulback and Miss Rita Lowman. The first temperance organization of record was the Mens' Waverly Prohibition club in 1886 ...The donors, Capt. and Mrs. Albertson, agreed to pay for the maintenance of the building during their lifetime and to provide an endowment fund for its maintenance after their death. It was also provided in the agreement that Capt. and Mrs. Albertson shall have full charge of the building during their life and after their death the president of the village, the president of the WCTU, and the commander of the American Legion shall act as trustees. Capt. and Mrs. Albertson equipped the building and maintained it including all expenses up to 1938 ...
September 3, 1959 The Evening Times: Carantouan DAR Unit Receives Invitations. Mrs. Glen Fraley, regent of Carantouan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution today announced that invitations have been received from other D. A. R. units to attend luncheon meetings. ... Mrs. Fraley also announced that members of Carantouan chapter presided at memorials at the Tioga Point, Forest Home, Glenwood and Hicks cemeteries during the past month for the following: Mrs. Sally Sell Druckemiller, Mrs. Josephine Christie Vastbinder Fisher, Miss Mary E. Finch, Mrs. Grace Fitch Tilton, Miss Esther Barnum, Miss Henrietta Morgan, Mrs. Gertrude Slaughter Knapp, Mrs. Isabelle Lyman Atwater, and Miss Grace W. Hicks. ...
September 25, 1959 The Evening Times: Vacant modern 3 room house, heat, range, refrigerator furnished. 208 Chemung Street. Waverly
November 12, 1959 Binghamton Press: Waverly - Earl J. Payne, 62, a retired druggist and Republican committeeman, died yesterday in Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, Pa., following a long illness. An active civic leader in the Waverly area, Mr. Payne had an important role in the nomination of Representative Howard W. Robison of Owego in 1957. When the GOP nominating committee met in Elmira in January of that year to pick a successor to W. Sterlling Cole of Bath, who had been appointed to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mr. Payne, a Tioga County delegate with Mr. Robison, sided with the Chemung delegates against the Broome County choice, Assemblyman George L. Ingalls of Binghamton. An unbreakable deadlock in the voting resulted in the compromise nomination of Representatve Robison. A life-long resident of Waverly, Mr. Payne had been a druggist here since 1928. President of the Waverly Water Board, he was a past president and past district deputy of the Waverly Lions Club, a past president of the Valley Association, former chairman of the Waverly Community Chest drive, and a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Moose. Funeral arrangements are pending. (Mrs. Gertrude Slaughter Knapp sold her late father's "corner drug store", 337 Broad st., to Earl Payne in 1946, though Earl had been renting it for several years before this.)